Summer’s over so it must be time for mini bacon bbq meatloaves. Sure, humidity still hangs in the air and we haven’t traded in our shorts, but schools in session and vacation…a distant memory. But the good news is our pallets seem to naturally shift to cold weather comfort food. Meatloaf, the ultimate in that area gets a genius upgrade baked as a mini, cutting way back on prep and cooking time. Add a few secret ingredients such as Greek yogurt and Saltine crackers, not to mention the crispy strip of bacon on top and you’ll have “all-day” meatloaf in about 30 minutes.
Mini is brilliant: Make it a mini and you could call it a double duty dinner. Serve it old school with roasted garlic mashed potatoes, then, make a stellar burger or a patty melt with leftovers.
About onion prep: It wouldn’t be meatloaf with out the ingredient of chopped onions. But, skip the traditional step of sautéing first. Just toss the raw onions into the mix and bake as usual. As the meat cooks, it’ll baste the onions and mellow the raw flavor just like sautéing.
Side dish suggestion: Roasted garlic mashed potatoes are so flavorful; you can practically skip the butter. While the meatloaves are baking, take a whole bulb of garlic, cut it in half and pour a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper over the cut side. Wrap in tin foil and bake about 30 minutes. When it’s cool, pop the buttery cloves out and mix into the mashed potatoes.
- 1-pound lean ground beef
- 1-pound ground pork
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-teaspoon salt and a few cranks of pepper
- Handful (1/2 cup) flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ cup (4 oz.) nonfat Greek yogurt
- 15 Saltine (3/4 cup) crackers, crushed
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 bacon slices, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, eggs, onion, mustard, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, parsley, yogurt and crackers.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil. Divide mixture into 6 mini meatloaves and place on prepared baking sheet.
- In the same bowl (so you only need to wash one), combine ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar. Brush over meatloaves. Place a ½ strip of bacon on top of each meatloaf.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until brown and bacon is crispy. Serve with (optional) roasted garlic mashed potatoes.