You can skip the campfire to make these smores cookies and dare I say it? They’re BETTER than the real thing! It starts with basic chocolate chip cookie dough using whole-wheat flour for the graham effect. When they’re all baked and golden, pile on the marshmallows and give it a quick run under the broiler till they’re toasty and gooey. A final drizzle of melted chocolate will have you wishing summer could last all year long. But wait! You CAN make these all year long.
About whole-wheat flour: Not just for ‘healthy” people, it’s a great flavor if you’re going for something earthy like a graham cracker. Swap half of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat in your recipe and you’ll have all of the texture with a deeper, more noticeable wheat flavor.
Is it done yet? I always hesitate when the timer goes off to take the cookies out. They just look slightly underdone. ALWAYS. What I’ve learned is cookies continue to bake, then, settle once they’re out of the oven. Underdone looking cookies in the oven will turn into perfectly chewy ones after they’re cooled.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-teaspoon vanilla
- 1-½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1-teaspoon baking powder
- 1-teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 oz. bag milk chocolate chips (2 cups)
- 1-2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and both sugars, followed by the eggs and vanilla. Add both flours, baking powder, soda and salt and mix until just combined. Stir in 1 ½ cups of the chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop or two spoons, drop cookies onto the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly brown. Remove and turn on the broiler. Place 3-4 marshmallows on top of each cookie and place back in the oven about 6-inches under the broiler. Broil for 30 seconds just to brown the marshmallows (keep an eye on this or it will burn very quickly!).
- Make the chocolate drizzle by placing the remaining ½ cup of chocolate chips in the microwave 15 seconds, then stirring until the chips are melted. Using a fork, drizzle chocolate over each cookie. Cool to room temperature (or not).