With initials like BLT in a cup, you know you can’t go wrong with this crowd-pleasing hors d’oeuvre that everyone except maybe a vegetarian will love. Bacon, lettuce and tomato, that iconic combo is perfect for company in an elegant Siljan crispy shell or as a dip if the team’s over for dinner. If you are going to dip route, serve with anything sturdy such as flatbread, tortilla chips or crackers.
What’s a Siljan?: A crispy little cracker shell from our Canadian friends. Secrets of a Home Cook has yet to find anything similar or better, so it’s worth seeking out and stocking up. Locally, you can buy it at Kings Super Markets in the cracker aisle.
About bacon: There are so many bacon options these days with many being fancy, artisanal, and pricey. This recipe works best with regular Oscar Mayer bacon. Keep a package in the freezer so you’ll always have it at the ready. A quick, easy and mess free way to cook bacon is to microwave between sheets of paper towels (to absorb the grease), 1 minute per slice.
Do not do-ahead: Fresh ingredients such as lettuce and tomato just don’t stay fresh if this recipe is made ahead of time. It’s not a last minute lost cause if you have a few organizational secrets. Prep in advance by chopping the lettuce and tomatoes and storing in individual zip-top bags. Cook the bacon, cool, crumble in a zip-top bag. Mix the mayo and sour cream in a bowl with a lid. Store everything in the fridge for several hours and up to a day. Just before serving simply combine the ingredients, add the pepper and serve in the Siljan crispy shells.
- 1 pound bacon (regular Oscar Mayer)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- Few cranks of fresh pepper
- 2 boxes Siljans crispy shells
- Place bacon, 4-6 strips at a time, between two layers of paper towels. Microwave on high for 4-6 minutes. Remove and repeat until all of the bacon is cooked.
- While the bacon is cooking, place the sour cream and mayonnaise in a bowl and combine. Cut grape tomatoes into four pieces each and add to sour cream mixture. Trim outer layers of lettuce and chop, then add to tomato mixture. Crumble cooled bacon and add to complete the BLT mixture. Stir in a few cranks of freshly ground pepper. Spoon BLT mixture into Siljan crispy shells and serve.