Unbelievable cheese crisps is not an original. Not really. It’s one of those recipes that’s been alive and well for generations. It may have been someone’s grandmothers or even great grandmothers that got lost or forgotten over the years. Or maybe you have a similar version that you cherish. It’s an oldie but a goodie because of the toasty Cheddar flavor, just like the edges of a grilled cheese. They’re quite addicting too, so while you’re at it, make a double batch for gift giving, cocktails or a festive after school snack.
Secret ingredient: The secret to an unbelievable cheese crisp is the ingredient of Rice Krispies cereal. But, not just any old Rice Krispies. They need to be fresh from a newly opened box, stirred gently into the dough and baked right away for maximum crisp.
Do-ahead: During the holidays, do-ahead is a recipe’s best friend. Unbelievable cheese crisps freeze beautifully in zip-top plastic bags for several weeks. Serve right out of the freezer, as they’ll defrost in minutes.
Presentation: Line a bowl with a pretty hankie or napkin and scatter in the cheese crisps. The crackly, cheesy edges are irresistible when they’re all tossed together sort of like a fancy bowl of chips.
- 1-cup flour
- 1-teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces Cheddar, grated (2 cups)
- 1-cup fresh Rice Krispies cereal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, cayenne, and mustard. Stir in Worcestershire and melted butter with a wooden spoon, followed by the grated Cheddar. Gently fold in the Rice Krispies.
- Drop teaspoons of dough on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Cool and serve or freeze in zip-top plastic bags.