If you think matzo is nothing but a flat cracker that pops up this time of year during Passover, think again. Matzo is so much more. You’d be hard pressed to find a tastier cracker to slather butter all over and the best part is the 8-inch crispy square means you only need to eat one to be extremely satisfied. But, it’s also the key ingredient in salted toffee matzo crunch and once you try it, you’ll wish matzo were sold year ‘round. So seize the day and make a batch until the matzos gone until next year.
Secret ingredient: Salt is often overlooked in sweet recipes, but in reality the addition of salt balances the sweetness. Adding just a teaspoon into the warm toffee balances out the sweetness with just a touch of savory.
Cracker exchange: Don’t have matzo on hand? No problem, substitute Saltines or even graham crackers. Follow the same recipe but know the flavors will be slightly different (in a good way).
Get creative: A drizzle of white and dark chocolate make salted toffee matzo decadent, but you can be even more creative with your decadence. Try adding nuts, dried fruit, even crushed pretzels in top on the drizzled chocolate.
- 6 sheets (½ of a 10 ounce box) matzo
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups dark brown sugar
- 1-teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1-cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet (13x18-inch, ½ sheet pan) with non-stick aluminum foil. Place matzo on baking sheet in an even layer. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter, sugar and salt to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 3 minutes stirring, and then pour over matzo. Bake 15 minutes until brown and bubbly.
- Place white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat 1 minute, stirring at 15 second intervals until melted. Drizzle half of the melted white chocolate all over the matzo crunch. Repeat with dark chocolate. Chill in the fridge 30 minutes so the chocolate can set.
- Line a flat baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil and flip matzo crunch over. Melt both chocolates 15 more seconds and drizzle on the other side. Chill in the fridge 30 more minutes. Break into pieces and dig in.
Please allow 1 hour chilling before breaking into pieces.