The day after Thanksgiving may have you feeling a little stuffed. Treat yourself to a warm bowl of healthy white bean spinach soup with feta. It’s simple to make and your kitchen won’t smell like Thanksgiving turkey. You could even make it in advance; it’s freezer friendly and will stay fresh in the fridge for 4-5 days. Best of all, with soup you can reclaim your inner strength to start cooking all over again for those other holidays, not to mention shopping….
About hearty leafy greens: A hearty leafy green that can hold its own in a pot of bean soup. SHC loves spinach (not the baby kind) however other veggies will work just as well such as escarole, kale and chard. How about a combo?
About the “crumble”: Iconic Greek feta cheese, with its crumbly texture and tangy, salty flavor is a perfect compliment to bean and kale soup. But, if feta isn’t your thing, try the same amount of shredded Cheddar or Gouda.
Make it a meal: Add diced ham, cooked sausage or vegan (textured soy protein) sausage and this soup becomes an even heartier meal. Pair it with a kale salad (no joke! buy a big bag and split it between soup and salad. Make a dressing mixing together equal parts peanut butter, soy sauce and rice vinegar)
- 1-cup (½ lb) dried white beans, soaked (or 2, 14 oz. cans beans, drained)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 14 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped and loosely packed fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Fresh pepper
- Bean soaking: Place beans in water, covered by 2 inches. The traditional way is to cover and soak 8 hours to overnight. The quick way is to boil for 1 minute and set aside for 1 hour. Either way yields the same results.
- Soup: In a large pot, heat oil and cook onion, celery, carrots and garlic until soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add veggie stock and bring to a boil. Add tomatoes, beans and kale, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Feta crumble: In a small bowl, combine feta, lemon zest, chopped scallions and pepper. Serve a spoonful on top of individual soup bowls.
Please allow extra time for bean soaking.