Grilled squash with basil drizzle is a recipe created from the tangle of yellow squash and basil overtaking my garden and it couldn’t be easier to make. There’s a certain fascination with a vegetable garden for someone who loves to cook as much as me. Planting begins as soon as the temp. clears 32 degrees, around late April in NJ. It’s year two for my little garden and once again, my enthusiasm has yielded so many thriving plants, it’s hard to tell one from the other. So, several days ago I was shocked to find a 4-pound yellow squash growing under a canopy of basil. The dish came quickly in my mind (how fun to pick and cook in a matter of minutes!) and I can’t wait to see what my ‘secret garden’ brings me tomorrow.
Four ingredients: With just 4 ingredients, make sure they’re the freshest, highest quality you can find. Fresh from the garden or farmers market’s best, but many supermarkets are now promoting local veggies, so look for the signs.
Indoor/outdoor grilling: Here’s a secret; not everyone loves to grill. Outside grilling’s great when you’re cooking for a crowd on a sunny day when you have lots of time to marvel at your grill marks. Using a grill pan indoors makes quick work of this 5-minute recipe with the same beautiful results.
- 2 lbs. (3-4) yellow squash or zucchini
- ½ cup good quality olive oil (plus more for grilling squash)
- Juice of 1 lemon (about ¼ cup)
- Handful fresh basil (about ½ cup)
- Salt and pepper
- Slice squash, about ¾ -inch thick. Brush both sides with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat grill or griddle pan to high. While pan is heating, make the basil drizzle by combining the olive oil, lemon juice and basil in a food processor or high-speed blender. Whirl until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Grill squash 3 minutes, then flip and grill another 2 minutes. The squash should remain firm with deep char marks. Serve with basil drizzle.
Note: Squash and basil drizzle can be made up to 4 hours in advance. If not serving right away, store separately.