Healthy and comfort food are words that don’t always go together. But this recipe; haloumi,farro, zucchini bowl combines whole grains with tangy cheese and fresh zucchini all in one bowl. Haloumi, farro, zucchini bowl is also a great option if you pack your lunch because it’s just as tasty warm or cold and a total do-ahead. No worries if you want to swap ingredients too. Any whole grain will do such as quinoa or couscous and if you can’t find haloumi cheese try feta.
Vinaigrette basics: Making vinaigrette from scratch couldn’t be easier if you know the secret which is two parts oil (fat) to one part vinegar, citrus, mustard (acid). If you stick to this ratio, the vinaigrette options are limitless not to mention tastier and less costly than store bought.
About Haloumi: A Mediterranean cheese that tastes like a firm, salty mozzarella but the best part is that it can be cooked without melting or falling apart. Frying or grilling yields a unique flavor and texture that works beautifully in most grain dishes. You can find it at Kings Supermarkets and Trader Joe’s.
Goes with…A super vegetarian dish all by itself, it’s also a great side dish because it combines grains and veggies. Try it with mini meatloaves w/bacon and bbq glaze, rustic roasted chicken with whole garlic or scallops with lemon and chive oil.
- ½ cup good quality olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons juice)
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1-teaspoon salt
- 3 zucchini (abut 1 lb.), sliced
- 8 oz. package Haloumi cheese, sliced
- 1 ½ cups uncooked, pearled or quick-cooking farro (about 4 cups cooked)
- Bunch of scallions, trimmed in 4-inch pieces
- Vinaigrette: In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, zest and lemon juice, mustard and salt. Set aside.
- Everything else: Cook farro according to package directions. Preheat an outdoor grill or a griddle pan to medium heat. Place sliced zucchini in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette. Grill 2 minutes per side until slightly charred. Remove and set aside. Toss Haloumi cheese and scallions in 1 more tablespoon of vinaigrette and grill just like the zucchini, 2 minutes per side until slightly charred. Cool, chop scallions and dice cheese.
- In a serving bowl, add cooked farro, zucchini, Haloumi, scallions and the remaining vinaigrette. Toss, season with more salt and pepper if needed. Serve room temp or chilled.
Look for farro that’s pearled or quick cooking. This means that some of the hull has been removed so it cooks quicker but still retains its whole grain goodness.